If you’ve been keeping up to date with us, you’ve noticed our recent call for a user-created DLC package that we will be offering for free to our fans. We want this DLC package to have 2 parts: maps and relics. Considering I never made a guide for how we make our relics, we figured a guide might be useful for those who would like to participate in our user-created DLC.
So without further adieu, here’s a list of every field we need to make a relic happen, and the restrictions on those fields (so as to not crash the game, or imbalance gameplay):
- Relic Name (required) – Self explanatory, 30 Characters Max
- Relic Description (required) – A mirthful description of your item, puns are heartily encouraged :). 300 Characters Max (try and keep these under 200 characters if possible, as some descriptions become tough to read and display if you go much higher).
- Value (required) – The reward for collecting this item, right now they range from -10 to 14, with a mean about 4.5. Remember, selling at the Oogler will result in this reward -2 for his transaction fee.
- Value Type (optional) – This is one of the following: DUSTY, NORMAL, EPIC, or BOGUS. This value determines which style of chest this relic is most likely to appear in: dusty chests being the most prevalent and at higher depths than the large, epic chests of the deep layer. Bogus value types can appear in any of the 3 types of chest, and is mainly used for negative scoring relics.
- Class (optional) – This is one of the following: ARMOR, BOOK, BOOZE, CLOTHING, FOOD, FOSSIL, TREASURE, or WEAPON. These are used in determining the flavor text when you turn a relic in, and is also used for some of our collection achievements on Steam.
- Attack Mod (optional) – If you want your relic to modify a dwarf’s BASE ATTACK DAMAGE, fill in this field.
- HP Mod (optional) – If you want your relic to modify a dwarf’s MAXIMUM HP, fill in this field.
- Critical Mod (optional) – If you want your relic to modify a dwarf’s BASE CRITICAL CHANCE, fill in this field.
And that’s it! Well, minus a few helpful hints. One: don’t make ridiculously overpowering items, relics that modify stats are supposed to be a nice perk, not a game-ender for other players (or the one who collects it for that matter). Two: don’t go crazy with negative modifiers, we have some of those in game already, but there are some problems if we try and… say… drop a dwarf’s base damage or maximum hp to below 0
Beyond that, have fun! Be Creative! (or for those who watched the link, agree to never be creative again We look forward to all your submissions, thanks for helping us make this user-generated DLC a reality!